[lug] cp problem

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 17:57:22 MST 2004

Garett Shulman wrote:
> Hello, I am having a problem with cp and was wondering if anyone had any
> suggestions.
>
> when I try to cp an mpg from an ntfs partition to an ext2 partition I
> get an input/output error reading the file and the cp stops for that
> file. I have successfully copied files from ntfs partitions on this
> machine before. Also, mplayer can play the mpg from the ntfs partition
> without noticable problem. There may be filesystem corruption on the
> patition, or the drive may be having problems. I may just put the drive
> into a win2k machine and run chkdsk on it. Are there any cp options, or
> utilities that might be usefull in getting this copied? I guess I
> wouldn't even mind if the file where copied with errors, but completely.
> Are there any utilities that might be usefull if this problem where
> occuring on a partition that linux can modify like ext2?

Possibly, if the file is > 2 GB, you might be running into a limitation
of the shell itself. I think most shells nowadays handle this fine, but
there are still a lot of semi-modern tcsh shells limited to 2 GB still.
Something like cpio could bypass cp and at least rule out that cp itself
is at fault, e.g.:
   find /SomeSource -print -xdev | cpio -pdm SomeDestination

(make sure find can see it first...the above should be adjusted, I use
it for drive mirroring)

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net