[lug] advice on possible rootkit

pjr at ucar.edu pjr at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 25 19:54:07 MST 2004

I could use some advice about a possible root kit installed on a
machine I own.  The machine sits behind some serious firewalls, but
our institution had some serious compromises in its security. There
have been a few odd things taking place on the machine the last couple
of days and I am being paranoid.

Today I ran chkroot (version 0.40) on the machine. I got a diagnosis
of "possible LKM trojan installed".

chkrootkit -x lkm

has the following output

###
### Output of: /usr/lib/chkrootkit/chkproc -v -v
###
PID    15: not in readdir output
PID    15: not in ps output
You have     1 process hidden for readdir command
You have     1 process hidden for ps command

repeating the command always indicates PID 15 is the problem.

I went into /proc/15. and looked at cmdline.

It shows /sbin/init^@nomce^@

>From grubbing around on the web, nomce is a string usually included in
an append line of a bootloader configuration. In my case the string actually
occurs on the append line of my /etc/lilo.conf file. The append
string was automatically built during the install (eg I didnt add it
myself).

I shut the machine down to think about things for awhile. Can any of
you suggest how I figure out what is going on, and whether I need to
worry? Apparently there are legitimate machine configurations where
chkrootkit is going to issue messages about a LKM root kit (like on a
multi-CPU machine running threading).

In this case, the machine is running a 2.4.24 kernel I built. It is a
debian install I initially performed from a KNOPPIX CD-ROM. Threading
is enabled in the kernel.

Can anybody offer me some advice?

Thanks

Phil

--
Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Mail     --> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307