[lug] Ancient RH box hacked, which packages must be updated?

Chip Atkinson chip at rmpg.org
Fri Mar 26 12:03:53 MST 2004

That's a really good point and possibility.  I had a box get cracked and
it was listening on another port.  I used netstat to try to find the
listening ports and it was complaining that a legitimate arguement was
invalid.  That's when I started poking around and discovered a compromised
set of programs.  It was kind of interesting in that the new programs were
wrappers around the original scripts that were moved and renamed.

Once I got a good ps and netstat, I could see the back door daemons
listening on port 1337 (leet).

Chip