[lug] Printing with Mandrake 10 & Lexmark E210?

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 09:20:39 MDT 2004

This seems pretty basic, but I'm stuck...
I have a Lexmark E210 laser printer hooked up to the parallel port of my
desktop PC (an old home-built system with an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard and
PIII-500 CPU).  I just loaded Mandrake 10.0 on a new hard drive, so there
was no previous working configuration.   Linuxprinting.org indicates that
this printer should work fine.  When I boot up, I can see /dev/lp0, but
whenever I try to echo anything to it, all the printer does is come out of
power-saver mode.  I've tried:
echo "This is a test. ^L" > /dev/lp0
echo "This is a test./f" > /dev/lp0

Both have the same effect - the printer warms up, but nothing prints, and
the paper doesn't move.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm still pretty
Windows-addicted, I keep thinking I should be installing some sort of
driver....

Also, I haven't had any success with any of the graphical interfaces, like
CUPS and the KDE Printer Wizard.  I guess that makes sense, if I can't even
get it working at the command line.  The KDE Printer Wizard can see the
parallel port and correctly finds the Lexmark attached, but keeps asking me
for a password when I get to the "Send a test page" portion of the
configuration.  And no matter what password I put in, it fails.

Any ideas what I should try next?
(Anybody live near Flatirons Crossing and want to come over for some free
beer?)

Thanks,
John D.

.