[lug] Gnome/KDE on Sarge

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Sep 3 11:46:54 MDT 2004

Gary Hodges wrote:
[...]
> X starts using any of gdm/kdm/xdm, but I don't get a nice desktop
> after logging in, e.g., panel, menu's, etc. All I'm able to start is
> an xterm with the middle mouse button.  A person here suggested that
> for some reason I didn't get all the desktop configuration files
> copied to my home directory.

It isn't your home directory but rather the X startup scripts.  They are
kept under /etc/X11 and control what happens after you log in to
[gkx]dm.  If you read the xdm man page closely you will see what order
the various scripts get called and be able to trace your way through
them.  Then you can adjust as needed (it may be a matter of fiddling
with the selector on the login screen--selecting kde works better in
some cases than default or last or whatever).  But navigating the
scripts is tricky even after you grok xdm(1).

You might look at the bug lists for your xdm or the debian installer and
see if there are already reports of this.

Dave