[lug] A/D or video equip

Ed Moxley ed at moxleynet.com
Tue Oct 5 12:18:30 MDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 07:49, Steve Sullivan -->
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Suse 9.1 and want to detect the passing racoons
> near our house.  We want to find out when they come and go.
> Seems there are two ways to do this ...
>
> A. Video camera -> video card -> acquisition software
>    -> motion detection software
>
> B. Photodetector -> A/D converter card -> acquisition software
>    -> motion detection software
>
> Do you have any recommendations for cameras or photodetectors,
> acquisition cards, suppliers, software, etc for Linux?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Steve

For software I have had good luck with http://motion.sourceforge.net/

Just about any BTTV based capture card is well supported in Linux.

My favorite cameras are the pc164c (mono) and pc165c (color) available
online from Supercircuits.  The equivalent models with the KT&C brand
are less expensive if you can find them.
--
Ed Moxley <ed at moxleynet.com>