[lug] Curious Network Question - 2 NICs, 1 Computer, Double Bandwidth

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 9 18:19:03 MDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 07:57:39AM -0600, Chris Brotherton wrote:
>I am curious.  In my office we have two ethernet jacks.  Both are 10 Mbps.
>Since my office is one of the oldest, the rest the building has 100 Mbps

While I haven't done it, there should be several different ways of
achieving this that will work for your outbound traffic.  I would expect,
for example, that equal-cost multi-path routing over the devices would
work, for example.  To the extent that Linux equal-cost multi-path
routing works, anyway.  It only load-balances connections, not traffic
within a connection.

However, the issue is going to be that incoming traffic will probably
only know about one of those two connections, unless you end up doing
NATing, in which case each IP would be associated with a different
10mbps connection.

A lot of trouble for "only" another 10mbps, to be sure, and lots of
restrictions, but it should work.

Sean
--
 An infallible method of conciliating a tiger is to allow oneself to be
 devoured.  -- Konrad Adenauer