[lug] Wireless setup with FC 2, machine has builtin ethernet

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 9 22:06:05 MDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 07:33:51PM -0400, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
>How do I set it up so that if it doesn't find a cable and the wireless card is
>installed, it will try the wireless card? It seems to just stop after trying
>the ethernet adaptor.

What I do is to disable the ethernet in the boot, so that it doesn't
spend time trying to find net on the Ethernet.  I have a built-in WiFi,
and fire that up during the boot.

mii-tool has an option to watch the wired net for linkbeat.  Quite some
time ago I had built some code that watched the interface using
mii-tool, and when ethernet was connected it would shut down WiFi and
bring up the wired net.  When I disconnected it, it would bring down the
wired and bring back up WiFi.

I had my network configured so that wired and WiFi used the same IP, so
I could plug in when I was doing a large transfer, and over a couple of
seconds it would switch to wired.  One of the things I like about Linux
is that you can customize so much stuff...

Sean
--
 Nothing like a river-boat cruise at 3am to make a person realize how
 great life can be - as long as they have a boat.  -- A. Wyskowski, 2002