[lug] Developer abuse

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Tue Nov 16 23:37:36 MST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:40:22PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Those that actually *do* true Software ENGINEERING aren't
> doing the norm, and their results are usually a helluva
> lot better than everyone else, too. Generally it takes
> longer and costs more, but when they're done, there's not
> five years of re-work and bug-fixes ahead, either.

I haven't done much work outside of the Aerosapce industry
so I can't say for software development in general, but in
Aerospace a good Engineering process gets the job done in
less time with lower cost...even excluding the re-work and
bug-fix time of the old-style projects.  Though as already
noted, we work under different constraints than other types
of software development.

As the programmer writing code though, it can seem eternal
as you spend so *little* time actually coding (and thats the
fun part, damn it all!).

--David