[lug] Personal Financial Software?

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Fri Dec 17 08:40:20 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 00:10 -0700, David Morris wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on Linux-based personal finance
> software.  I used to use Quicken 2001 and it was adequate,
> but Quicken 2004 has lots of bugs and its attitude of
> "you're too stupid to know what you *really* want to do"
> annoys me to the point that I'm not willing to use it.
>
> What I'd really like to do is find a Linux alternative,
> ideally something with the capability to publish selected
> reports to the web and enter transactions from a web form
> (but not necissarily edit them).
>
> I've tested GnuCash, Moneydance, SQL-Ledger, Kapital, and
> two others whose names I don't recall at the moment.  None
> of them really come even remotely close to ideal though
> GnuCash comes the closest except for its complete lack of
> graphs, no overview type screen, and the fact that it needs
> to constantly open new windows (which could be done better
> using the existing tabs interface).
>
> I have seriously considered writing my own package but doing
> so is a non-trivial task and I already have several ongoing
> projects I don't have enough time to finish.
>
> Any suggestions other than the

Well, the ones I can think of that you haven't listed are MyBudget,
Grisbi, Kurush, and the old-school CBB (the predecessor to Gnucash!).

MyBudget is sort of an Abisource product, works well with Abiword and
Gnumeric.  So, if you are used to those, it might be good.  Grisbi
prints using LaTeX, so I give it points for that.

None of them seem to be very "graphy" internally except CBB which
produced gnuplot-like graphs if I remember right.

The last one I can think of is MyPhpMoney but I have no PHP experience
so I can't tell if it's good or not.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/