[lug] dns for non Internet visible network

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 31 18:37:15 MST 2004

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I think I'll probably go the subdomain route.  Do the authoritative DNS
> servers for the public/parent domain have to do delegation or can they
> be ignorant of the subdomain too?

The parents (which answer questions for the Internet) would be ignorant
of the subdomain (so the Internet is ignorant).  That means that all
hosts wanting to resolve names in the subdomain have to use the internal
(and authoritative) name servers as their resolvers (in /etc/resolv.conf
or equivalent).

Dave