[lug] [OT] TI-82 / TI-83 simulation [answer my own post]

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:16:14 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:07 -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:01 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> If you own the calculator it isn't copyright violation.  If you owned
> it, it would be like ripping a CD to MP3 and playing it on a computer
> instead of a CD player.

The same for programs like MAME where you can only use the Mega Man ROM
if you own the Mega Man cart, or the like.  Of course, MAME is much
murkier than TI calculators, and I doubt you can find TI ROMs on BT or
Kazaa.  ;)

These authors are just saying they can't distribute the ROMs of the
calculator.  I assume you/your daughter own one, so go for it (and tell
me if it's worth digging out my TI-92 to play with).

Finally, I read somewhere that there is an SDK from TI out there that
has the ROMs for the 82, 83 in an exe package.  But, that sounds like
some work to get and use in Linux.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/