[lug] OT: static electricity

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Fri Mar 4 10:47:49 MST 2005

While this is certainly possible.. I suspect you may have a problem with
the Motherboard itself or with how it is connected to the frame.

Open her up and look close for cracks in it, for fallen screws behind it
which could be causing the board to have direct contact with the frame.

I would also test your outlets to make sure that they are properly
grounded.

Has the system been moved recently?  like in a car?  That could cause a
crack in the board if there was a jolt or ding to it.

-M

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 07:56 -0700, Steve Sullivan
> A bit off topic, but ...
> At home my workstation is in a carpeted room and the static
> electricity is continually causing freezes and reboots.
>
> I've put a grounded wire on my desk to touch before sitting
> down, but even with that I get freezes.
>
> Do you know of any carpet treatments that work?
> Or other ideas?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Steve
Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute

phone. 720-974-5853   Jabber: mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
fax.   720-974-5860

DISCLAIMER:
The Sender and Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations
accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in
writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in