[lug] Request for help with dialup and/or DSL connections

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:37:03 MST 2005

> 2. DSL connections.

I don't believe the DSL connection is much different from the cable
connection from the linux box's perspective.  You get some sort of network
device from the provider, it hands out a dhcp address, your linux box
picks it up.  I also suspect that there is some variability in the above
scenario, but that the variability is provider specific (hence the
documentation would be cumbersome because it would have to address major
providers by service area because even the same provider may do things
differently from one service area to the next).

Per dial-up, the last time I had to cope with it, I used wvdial and an
external USRobotics modem and it "just worked"

Hugh