[lug] XP floods linux network, ideas ?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue May 3 13:21:45 MDT 2005

> Chuck,
> If these are Win 2K/XP machines and you have DNS setup for your network
> you can disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the Windows machines.  I would
> think this should stop the NBNS floods.

No NetBIOS/NetBEAU would mean no network neighborhood. A very very good
idea if you don't use it, but possibly someone uses it.

Here is some info I found that might be useful (it's from IBM explaining
this service so their mainframes can be set up to work with it):

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.doc/aixbman/fastcon/winnetcon.htm

(from there search for case-sensitive NBNS)

Apparently this is all name resolution and it thinks its DNS server is a
WINS server. I'm guessing it will want that even if DHCP tells it about
the IP address of a name server, but it might be worth asking: Does the
current DHCP server also explicitly give out DNS server addresses?

> Otherwise, you can designate one samba server as an WINS (NBNS) server.
>  In the primary samba server smb.conf just add:
>
> 	wins support = true

If you look at the web page URL above, you'll see that backup WINS are
supported, so this should work if it is set up right.

> In your _other_ Samba servers:
> 	wins support = false
> 	wins server = nbns.server.ip
>
> You can then configure your ISC dhcpd to inform the client pc's.  In
> dhcpd.conf:
>
> 	option netbios-name-servers nbns.server.ip;
> 	option netbios-node-type 8;

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net