[lug] decent cheap soundcard

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Tue May 24 16:39:43 MDT 2005

Hey all,

I'm looking for a decent and cheap (sub $30) sound card that is well
supported under linux.  I used to have a ton of old SB16 cards lying
around, but gave them all away about a year ago.  I want to listen to
internet radio here at work (http://www.kexp.org rocks btw), and my
current linux desktop doesn't have any sound. This morning I stopped by
compusa to check out what they had and bought an el-cheapo compusa brand
that they had for 19.99.  It's a ALS4000 chipset and I got it running
with some ALSA drivers...It _works_ but it sounds really crappy and
skips a lot (any time I do ANYTHING in X there's a little hiccup).  This
makes me think that either the HW is crap or the driver support isn't
all that.  I also saw a SB Live! 24bit at compusa for $30, but didn't
find and documentation that says that it's well supported either.  So,
any and all suggestions are welcome...

thanks,

-rtw