[lug] Trouble with sound on dual AMD x86-64 system

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:22:09 MDT 2005

I got my new dual athlon system from Monarch Computing a couple of
weeks ago.  Almost everything works except the sound.

lspci says I have a Creative Labs SB Audigy LS, which is also what my
parts list says.  lsmod shows a bunch of modules, including
snd-ca0106, which I think is correct.

Whenever KDE starts up artsd crashes with a segmentation fault.  I'm
running the KDE 3.3 that ships with Mandriva 10.2, but the same thing
happens when I run Kubuntu which comes with KDE 3.4.  I use the stock
SMP kernel (uniprocessor under Kubuntu).

If I run artsd at the command line I get this:
1008] ~>artsd
unix_connect: can't connect to server (unix:/tmp/mcop-hirsch/lian-2442-42a51176)
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
... cleaned 5 unused mcop global references.

Segmentation fault

On the other hand, frozen bubble and some other non-artsd-aware
programs can play sound.  sometime the sound is played too fast--one
program starts playing too fast, then after 2 to 20 seconds it slows
down and plays normally.

Does anyone have any advice?  What should I be trying?  I've run out of ideas.

Thanks,

Michael