[lug] logging missing 2.6 kernel modules

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 13:39:52 MDT 2005

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> I think 2.6 has switched to using /etc/modules.conf for
> the init time module load. If you manually modprobe the modules
> and don't get a complaint, the modules loaded ok and should show
> up using lsmod. The standard place the kernel searches for modules
> is /lib/modules/2.6.xxxx/ where xxxx is the remainder of your
> version string from uname -r. Look in there for modules to
> try loading by hand. Use modinfo to get param info for a module.

The problem isn't finding the module, the problem is that it won't
autoload on 2.6. I have to manually modprobe every reboot. On 2.4 I
could use the modules.conf file to set an alias for the device, and it
would use that module whenever the device was requested, provided the
device lacked a driver. The /var/log/messages would tell me what devices
it was trying to use but could not find a driver for. It no longer logs,
but I believe I've added all the autoloader type kernel support
possible...it looks like the module loader is "dumbed down" in 2.6,
because I can't find the syntax for modprobe.conf...plus apparently the
kernel has nothing to do the triggering for module loading. I thought I
had every possible kernel compile option required, but I obviously
don't. What I need to know with certainty is what I have to enter in
modprobe.conf so that use of /dev/input/js0 would result in loading in
series joydev, emu10k1-gp, then analog. Unless I know I have the right
entry, I can't go on to debugging why it won't load, because probably it
would be my own fault for not having the right config...but if I know
the config is right the I can start the bug hunt. I'm stuck twiddling my
thumbs, and reverting to manual modprobe every boot (I won't put it in
rc.local, it isn't the right way to do it).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net