[lug] linux distro for a beginner

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Jun 16 20:44:28 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:47:02AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
> I don't think Debian is good for folks that don't want to
> be techies (i.e. they like holding hands, they just don't
> like MS's hand (it's kind of slimy and holding it makes
> you feel all sick inside :))

LOL, isn't that the truth.

You definately need a bit of Techie in you to do more than
the bare basics with Debian, but as I said I view that as a
VERY good thing.  In anything I do, I view the
"hand-holding" which is so popular lately to be detestable.

As another poster mentioned, Ubuntu is, I hear, on par with
Mandrake & SUSE on how well it works for the (eternal)
novice.  Haven't tried it personally.

In truth, if you're looking to get away from Windows just
because you don't like Windows rather than that you
specifically want to use Linux, I'd suggest getting a Mac.
While I'll always use Linux on my servers and main
workstations for a variety of reasons, MacOS X is the best
OS I've seen for the average/low end computer user.  Because
its based on BSD, you can even run most applications made
for Linux.  It does have the drawback that you can't install
it on x86 hardware but nothing is perfect.

--David