[lug] MD5sums of SuSE 9.3 files wanted

chris-blug at syntacticsugar.org chris-blug at syntacticsugar.org
Sun Jun 26 21:10:00 MDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:16:32AM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> >The RPM database already has this for your system.  So, if you have
> >/var/lib/rpm, you can just do "rpm -qa --dump" to get the list of files
> >with md5sums and other important information such as ownership.
>
> Or, you can just do an rpm --verify on everything...
>
> It'll show you quite a few red herrings (things you meant to change),
> but it's a good first attempt...

...that's exactly what I'd do, if I had a normal SuSE install and just
wanted to validate the binaries or something. Instead, I've got a few
scattered files and directories, and about 300,000+ unnamed files in
lost+found.

Some of those are from installed RPMs. Some are the same as those in
my home directories on another system I have. The reason for the
MD5sums is that it gives me a way to identify these files and move
them around appropriately.

A couple shell scripts will trim the set of files in lost and found
down to some config files, corrupted files, and things that were on
this system but not others - like my home directory or things in
/usr/local.  Then a little work with 'file' and I can separate what's
left into some new directories based on their file type.  Once things
are organized and I've picked out and reconstructed my home directory,
I'll copy it to another system and just do a reinstall of the system
and copy my home directory back.

Anyway, I've borrowed a copy of the SuSE 9.3 CDs, so thanks anyway. In
case anyone cares, the one-liner I posted for getting the md5sums from
the rpms was wrong. It breaks on files that have a space in the name.

Thanks for the suggestions,

--
 -   Chris Riddoch   -
epistemological humility