[lug] subversion questions

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 21:05:39 MDT 2005

I'm trying to use both fedora core 2 and fedora core 4 to talk to a
subversion server on fedora core 3 (I have access to fc3 box but not as
root). Further, I know that there are other users that are probably
using older distros and non-fedora distros.

On FC4 subversion is from rpm subversion-1.2.1-2.1.
On FC2 subversion is from rpm subversion-1.0.9-1

I'm not sure what versions are being used by other persons.

Anyway, I ran into this situation, and I'm wondering if it can be due to
version incompatibilities.

I checked out a working copy of a project. I altered a file, and
discovered that svn diff thinks the file is NOT changed. The file cannot
be committed, as it considers the file unchanged. Other files (I have
not altered all of them to find out), such as Makefile, do in fact
properly show changes. But no matter what, svn diff will not show a
difference for one of the files (a C++ file). I can even delete that
file, and svn will not notice, it still thinks the file is there and
still an exact copy.

When I ran svnlook info, I came up with this response:
svnlook: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '4'

Google shows no listing of this. I'm wondering if anyone here can give
me some ideas about whether mixing svn client versions by different
users might corrupt a database? Or if the 1.2 clients would fail to work
right on 1.1 or earlier servers? Is there anything else that might be
done to debug why the working copy of one file always looks in sync to
the server?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net