[lug] Router Recommendation

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Aug 24 16:52:26 MDT 2005

> option would be to go into a colocation facility that will provide the
> routing for you...  Some places will, some places won't.

The ISP would do the routing, but then I end up paying for 2 additional
network drops, and perhaps more as I add equipment.

> Well, there are some interesting-looking routing switches that would
> probably do the job you're asking starting around $3,000.

I'm thinking the AdTran NetVanta 1224R is going to do what I need. It's an
integrated 24 port managed switch/router. It would certainly give me a lot
of capability and flexibility.

http://www.adtran.com/adtranpx/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?ProductCateg
ory=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B34595DA27BE27647B8BC485E24223937%5D%5
D&Product=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B3284610E3C90BA489466A977173F321
A%5D%5D&Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5B2E2EF98FEE3A4D4FB0BE09F
B47791C36%5D%5D

Here's a link to the configuration section.

http://www.adtran.com/adtranpx/Doc/0/IRNH1OJMUPMKJ982P9NM8CRN4E/Configuring%
20the%20NetVanta%201224R%20and%201224STR%20for%20Broadband%20Internet.pdf

Pricing is around $800 at the bottom end. By the time I get a 1U Linux
server, and configure it the cost would be pretty close to the same for a
lot less capability.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/