[lug] low profile, long IDE cables?

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Sep 1 19:22:58 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone knows of a place to purchase longer than normal
> IDE cables, which are also low profile? The box I have to work with has
> small metal slots for the cable to route through. In the past the cables
Are the slots large enough for the connectors? Even the braided cables
I've worked with still had a fair amount of cable near the connectors.
> I've found locally which are long enough were either too high profile to
> get through the slots, or else were downright buggy. This is parallel
> IDE on UDMA66 (yeah I know, ancient). The brands sold in the chain
> stores like CompUSA were all failures.
If the drives actually ground the extra wires in an 80-conductor cable
you may have a chance that the data won't be hosed with long cables.
Otherwise I'd bet against it.