[lug] self-signed apache certs on fedora core?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 12:38:15 MDT 2005

Craig wrote:
> Kind of an aside/plug -- CAcerts <cacert.org> is pretty cool. It's a free
> certification authority. I wish browsers would pick up it's root
> certificate, but it's easy enough to install if you know how.

I plan to keep them in my notes. Unfortunately though, I'm just using a
dynamic IP on the Internet, and all access is for myself on a private
network. On the other hand, I think I might be able to point a few other
people at this who have static IP's and do svn serving to a limited
number of developers.

> I can understand spending the thousands of dollars on Verisign or Thawte
> if you're running amazon.com or even the fifty dollars on Comodo if
> you're a small business owner or something like that
>
> I can't understand the rationale behind buying any certificate if you're
> running a small site and just don't want to have to bother with browsers
> popping up a warning everytime you start a secure sessions because you
> don't feel like giving your money away.

For me it isn't even a public site, getting a "real" cert would just be
an exercise in how to spend money I don't have (and we all know how easy
that is...no need for practice!).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net