[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Sep 14 14:15:49 MDT 2005

We are setting up dsl basic internet service. The setup and
all goes fine for outbound internet connectivity.

The problem is the qwest supplied actiontec GT701 dsl modem.
It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
will be a similar issue with running a web server.

The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
haven't worked.

I've looked in the howtos and searched the web, but found
no answers to the following questions. The qwest web site has
almost zero information of any use. Hoping to avoid dealing w/
qwest tech support as the chances of getting someone that
knows the answer is slim.

1) We have only one static ip, the link is using PPPoA.
    Are there devices (e.g. a straight dsl modem) that we
    can use to get a bridged connection instead of a routed
    one? If so does qwest have to be involved in making it
    a bridged connection?

2) If we can't bridge w/o qwest's cooperation, are there
    any DSL modem+router combos where you really can use
    the wan interface for hosting inet services?

3) Does qwest use bridged mode when you get a block of
    ips vs a single one?