[lug] cpuinfo flags

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Fri Nov 4 07:59:47 MST 2005

This is probably a FAQ, but I can't seem to be able to find the
information on the internets.  Namely, is there any documentation on the
flags line in /proc/cpuinfo?

I recently got a new Pentium D box, and I can decipher some of the
flags.  It took some looking around to find out that pni = sse3
(Prescott New Instructions) and that lm = em64t (long mode?).  So, I'm
curious about the others.  I tried looking in
linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt, but that had zilch.

Since the kernel folks have a set policy that these flags will never be
renamed to more familiar names to prevent breakage of apps that use them
(pni->sse3), there must be a collection of their meanings.

Thanks,
Matt
--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/