[lug] Multi OS booting

William Petty billpetty at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 20 11:37:40 MST 2005

I have a system with multiple SCSI drives with a different OS on each drive.
In the past, I just copied the MBR from the Linux drive (Using DD) to
C:\BootSec.lin and added it to the windows boot manager.  This always
worked for LILO, but it fails using grub. When given the choice of OS's,
and I select Linux, all I get is the word "GRUB" on the screen and nothing
else happens unless I reset.

I have looked at going the reverse direction, and adding windows to the
grub menu, but I do not want to revert to the old hiding/unhiding partitions
game. (AKA OS-2) Besides, I want the other volumes mounted while
running Linux.

My controller will boot the lowest SCSI ID first, but in the case of an IDE
disk being present, then the motherboard forces the IDE to precede all of
the SCSI devices with no option of reversing the order.   I.E. I would like
Windows to be on an IDE drive, thus the boot preference.

P.S.  I have also tried using all SCSI drives.

Any better suggestions?
William Petty