[lug] growisofs w/Plextor 740A

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 23 09:36:25 MST 2005

I posted this to linux.debian.user and haven't received any responses.
I've since installed the same model drive on a very similar machine I
have local access to (the one in question is in Nevada) and the drive
worked as one would expect. I have a few extra drives so I think I'll
just send out another, but maybe someone here will have a suggestion
that will get things going.

Some additional info and my original post to l.d.u below.

Cheers,
Gary

nevada:/home/tsi# dmesg | grep hdc
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=302 hdc=ide-scsi
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-740A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

nevada:/home/tsi# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
J�g Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'DVDR PX-740A ' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

***The original post***
Sarge install, all updates.

I had a DVD drive fail recently and replaced it with a Plextor 740A. I'm
now having problems writing disks. With a very small file as a test
things work out fine (i.e. I can mount and view the file contents after
writing) using the command I have used for a couple years:

growisofs -M /dev/scd0 -l -r -J /data/tmpdir

If I write something larger, e.g., 30MB and run the same command as
above it apparently writes OK but when I try to mount the disk I get the
following:

mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: Not a directory

I'm using all the same commands I have used successfully for almost two
years. An older copy of growisofs also produces the same behavior. Is
this an issue with the drive?