[lug] CD burning verification

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Dec 22 22:52:50 MST 2005

Sean R,

>From your blog and earlier post here:

----
The other thing is that just because you can read it doesn't mean that it's a
good burn. Some marginal sectors the drive may be able to read after spending
many seconds or minutes trying hard at it. IMHO, that burn is "bad", it's just
asking for trouble to rely on data on these, because as the discs age these
marginal sectors are likely to become hard to read faster than the rest of the
disc. Your data integrity is only as strong as it's weakest track, and all
that jazz...

<snip>

Around the time we were having these problems, I came up with a new
verification program which was much stricter about what it considered a "bad"
disc.
----

I know you said in the thread back when this was first brought up that you
don't have time to release these scripts, but:

How do you detect tracks that can be read, but only after several passes?
Isn't that done at the hardware level?  Can you describe in more detail what
techniques you used to accomplish a stricter burn verification?

Thanks,
Daniel