[lug] Backup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 26 08:18:48 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:30:36PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>that to be a symptom rather than a cause.  The case has 2 fans so
>although the drive doesn't get its own fan it shouldn't be any hotter
>than room temp.

It entirely depends on the aerodynamics of the case.  As I said, I had a
case where the fans air-flow was not being properly routed around the
drives, and that caused it to get hotter than was recommended.  So, just
having two fans isn't enough.

Try running the system for a few hours, and then open it up and see how hot
it is.  That's what I did on that machine.  I was getting drive errors, I
opened it up to fiddle with the drive and realized that it was pretty hot
and then looked up the specs for the drive.  It was clearly running hotter
than the 100-ish F in the specs.

The new case I got for a workstation here at the office includes a
front-mounted LCD with temperature probes for both the CPU and hard drive,
so it's easy to keep an eye on the drive temperature.  It was not the
cheapest case at $88 plus shipping, and the aluminum is kind of flimsy, but
it's a cute case.  It's called the X-QPack from Aspire.  The vendor link I
have is showing a "domain for sale" page, so I don't know if it's the wrong
URL or they let it expire.

If the system supports reading the temperature by SMART, that's a good way
to go.  SATA under Linux currently is not supported by smarttools.

Sean
--
 "I'm a big girl."  "Yeah, and in all the right places, too."
                 -- _North_by_Northwest_