[lug] Cisco 678 and NAT

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Tue Jan 3 13:47:26 MST 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 11:37 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:

>> (I've yelled at them for weeks and they claim that there is
>> nothing they
>> can do: we are far from the station and the wires going from my
>> work to
>> the station are shared with 25 T1's and when the T1's are in use I
>> get
>> noise pickup and it drops the DSL connection.)
>
> That's silly.  T1's are synchronous circuits and they're always "in
> use".  If they have an outside plant problem with cross-talk, they
> need to fix it.  Of course, they won't -- but they should.

You'll never get Qwest to fix this problem.  You get no guarantees of
bandwidth on a regular DSL account, and they absolutely will not
repair a line unless it is non-functional.  What Qwest has done here
is sell 1.5 Mbps on a line that can't support it, in all likelihood.
The reason they give for it going down is suspect.  Very suspect.  As
Nate says later, T1s are always in use.  The crosstalk will be a
problem, and they are supposed to limit the number of "specials" per
25 or 50 pair bundle, but they can't always do that (with the
exception of brand new neighborhoods, Qwest has not really expanded
their basic cable capacity in any major way since the Mountain Bell
days of yore).

You can either keep repeatedly calling in repair tickets, and hope
you get a good tech that cares about customer service (they do have
them), or buy an expensive business account, which will authorize
(nee require) techs to do much more troubleshooting and repairing.

The fix could be as simple as giving you a different pair on the F1
or F2 leg.  Or it could be as complicated as building out half a
million dollars of new infrastructure (in which case you're fucked).
But Qwest won't generally tell you that.  A tech *might* -- BUT, not
all techs at Qwest actually know what the hell they are talking
about.  And they're not all honest, either.  Some will simply tell
you whatever they think makes their job easier.

Tim /former Qwest employee.