[lug] forcing certain services to use eth1 instead of eth0

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 4 15:18:06 MST 2006

There's really no "right" way.  What you're trying to accomplish isn't
really possible with traditional destination-based (ie simple) routing.
 To do what you originally requested (enforce path symmetry) you
probably need to use policy-based routing, as described earlier in the
thread.  For the case of servers, using a default gateway, it's really
not too complicated.

It might also be helpful to re-evaluate WHY you want to do this.  Did
you diagnose a specific performance bottleneck?  Is it because you are
periodically saturating a 100Mbps interface?  Are you running full
duplex on a switched network?  Maybe Gig-E is the answer?  Or maybe
802.3ad link aggregation?  Or a faster server?