[lug] install problems for cinelerra

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 13:53:05 MST 2006

I borrowed a digital camera, which can make AVI movies in short bursts.
I'd like to be able to extract snapshots of individual frames (I'm
immortalizing my dog), but am not sure what's available to do video
editing. Cinelerra seems to be a powerful app in that area (I think this
used to be Broadcast 2000), but I'm unable to install it on Fedora Core
4. I got the rpm:
cinelerra-2.0-0.4.20051210.2.fc4.i386.rpm

...and I was also able to install many dependencies. But at the moment
I'm stuck on liba52. I managed to find this listed as a fedora rpm on
rpmfind.net, but the link is broken and does not actually point at
anything. The a52 site on sourceforge:
http://liba52.sourceforge.net/

...was of no use for rpm format. I suppose I could force the rpm install
with dependencies turned off, but this really grates on my nerves
breaking things like that. It looks like liba52 was abandoned a few
years back. Does anyone here have any suggestions for finding this
dependency, or an alternate application to catch individual frames from
an AVI? I'd love to have some general movie style editing software, but
the dependencies are killing me.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net