[lug] install problems for cinelerra

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Jan 17 09:02:40 MST 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:53:05PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:

> I borrowed a digital camera, which can make AVI movies in short bursts.
> I'd like to be able to extract snapshots of individual frames (I'm
> immortalizing my dog), but am not sure what's available to do video
> editing. Cinelerra seems to be a powerful app in that area (I think this
> used to be Broadcast 2000), but I'm unable to install it on Fedora Core
> 4. I got the rpm:
> cinelerra-2.0-0.4.20051210.2.fc4.i386.rpm
>
> ...and I was also able to install many dependencies. But at the moment
> I'm stuck on liba52. I managed to find this listed as a fedora rpm on
> rpmfind.net, but the link is broken and does not actually point at
> anything. The a52 site on sourceforge:
> http://liba52.sourceforge.net/
>
> ...was of no use for rpm format. I suppose I could force the rpm install
> with dependencies turned off, but this really grates on my nerves
> breaking things like that. It looks like liba52 was abandoned a few
> years back. Does anyone here have any suggestions for finding this
> dependency, or an alternate application to catch individual frames from
> an AVI? I'd love to have some general movie style editing software, but
> the dependencies are killing me.

I don't even have an install of Windows any more, but if I wanted to do video
editing, I would bite the bullet and get one.  Video on Linux still stinks.
Every year I try to get something, anything video-related to work with Linux
(capture, transcoding, editing, anything), and always fail with problems such
as you describe or extremely buggy software.  Playback works if you can slog
through getting mplayer compiled from scratch and digging up all the illegal
libraries and dependencies, but that's about it.

On the other hand, I know someone who has a VDR working under Linux fairly
well, so maybe I just have bad luck with it.  When there is a package in
Debian stable that I can just "apt-get package" and it actually works, then
I'll recant.  So far that has never happened for me with anything
video-related beyond playing MPEG1/2.