[lug] Fustration with SuSE

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Mon Jan 30 11:51:32 MST 2006

Thanks Hugh,
That (YaST) worked. I dearly regret that I cannot figure out how to burn a
DVD that that old notebook can read. It is really tedious feeding YaST all
those CDs over and over and over again.

I'm really surprised that I missed the option for SuSE's development option
in the installation. As I have been experimenting with different
distributions, I've installed SuSE quite a few times and never saw it. And
you would think I could have performed a google search and found that
information. Surely other neophytes have had the same problem.

Another strange thing is that if you don't set your screen resolution to
something greater that 800x600 during the installation, it is not obvious
how to set it to 1024x768 later. After the initial installation I could not
figure out how to set it to anything larger than 800x600. I could set it to
lower resolutions but not larger. Weird! So I started over and installed all
5 CDs over again.

Good think I had nothing better to do.

Siegfried