[lug] More Server Problems

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Feb 22 15:19:41 MST 2006

Unfortunately, when you're buying equipment the life-cycle is about 6
months. It causes a lot of problems.

I just got off the phone with my vendor about the new computer I'm ordering
to replace the current one. I explicitly spec'd the Intel 540 or 560 CPU and
said (NO EMT-64). While confirming he had ordered a low-profile heatsink
that would fit in the rack-mount chassis, he proudly told me that he was
getting a 640 CPU which has 2MB of cache. Unfortunately it has EMT-64. I had
to patiently explain to the vendor why I had specified the specific CPU
model, explain why the 640 wouldn't work. In a few months, non EMT-64 intel
chips will not be available.

I suppose one option is to purchase refurb/lease returns from people like HP
and Dell.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/