[lug] More Server Problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 6 14:21:45 MST 2006

[snipped conversation about how to do servers... one big box, vs. lots
of little boxes...]

Slightly OT, but you *could* run Linux on them... Ever considered using
something like a Sun E420R?

Seen 'em going on eBay lately for around $300+shipping for the
4-processor 400 MHz versions with 4GB of RAM.

That's a lot of server horsepower for very little money.  400 MHz in the
UltraSparc world doesn't really equate well with the PC server (Opteron)
world... but the I/O speeds available on most Sun boxes can sometimes
make a Sun server running at 1/3 the "speed" of something in the PC
server world, actually perform better in how much data it can crunch out
to the users.

Last time I did it, Linux support for this type of hardware was good...
especially if you're a Debian (or derivatives) fan.

Some pain during initial setup to get some odd keymapping things figured
out, back when I used a Sun box running Linux regularly... but these
boxes ran perfectly (and natively 64-bit) under Linux years ago...
stability is probably not much of a problem, even today.  Similar to
running Linux on Apple hardware -- the hardware's more standardized,
therefore problems caused by non-standard hardware in other platform
types, just don't exist.

If you go the eBay route, find one with rack rails, or be prepared to
set it on a sturdy shelf, they're not lightweights.  And the rails are
expensive.

(In that same regard, the boxes have sturdy hardware, massive numbers of
fans (noisy as hell!), and hardware monitoring.  The equivalently-priced
PC-server can't even touch most of the additional "server quality"
additions they have.  If they have an RSE card in them, that card can be
used for remote reboots, monitoring, etc... when PC server manufacturers
  started touting "lights-out" management, they were already 3 years
behind... the real server world.)

Of course, you can also run Solaris 9 or 10 on it, and still have all
the joy of a decent version of gcc, and built just about anything any
server would need... and you can play with things like Sun's "zones" for
creating snapshots, etc... apache, bash, all the various open-source
software almost always has a Sun port done already.

Sun's OS keeps moving forward, and is a hell of a lot more stable than
the equivalent Linux packages doing the same types of disk
virtualization, etc... but no one's looking.

Makes their prices low enough to really want to pick up a few of them
for my server applications right now.  :-)

If you do run Solaris, patching it for security issues is still a bit of
a pain in the ass, but if the box has Net connectivity, Sun has better
tools than in the past.  They're still utterly unintelligent, compared
to something like apt, but getting better.

Nate