[lug] cheap TV-out video cards

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:06:14 MDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:
> After a bit of quick research, I'm afraid this may be as bad as finding a
> wireless chipset that Just Works with Linux, but:
>
> Do any of the cheap (<$35) video cards with TV-out Just Work with Linux?
>
> I see a lot of them on Newegg, but searching around I can't tell if any of
> them will work without spending several hours setting them up.  Anyone
> currently using a cheap TV-out card which works with Debian Sarge era Linux?
> I have a brand new kernel and don't mind recompiling it, but I don't see
> anything in the kernel config about TV-out, and I don't know that it would be
> a kernel driver issue anyhow.

AFAIK, most TV-out cards require extra kernel modules OR other
software to actually use that feature (it's alleged to be available
natively on some ATI cards, but
said extra software didn't work on my Radeon 7000).

I think if you Google for" debian kernel modules nvidia tv-out" (leave
out quote marks, of course) you'll find a page to tell you how to set
up an Nvidia card in this way on a Debian system (since ATrpms has RPM
packages for Fedora Core and the like, it was much simpler for me).

Calvin