[lug] laptop partioning, boot loaders

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jun 13 06:50:55 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:03:30PM -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>

>>How will you keep the script-kiddy from deciding to use your MAC on his
>>card?
>>

>Yeah, MAC lockdown isn't that useful.  I'd prefer to set up the AP so that
>it can only communicate OpenVPN packets to my OpenVPN server, and any other
>traffic would have to be tunneled over OpenVPN.
>
>Sean

See! I'm asking the right group already :)

This is exactly what I need to know...what *really* works or not. Ok, so
it sounds like they will spoof MAC's. OpenVPN for home would be nice.
Does this stop them from getting to my cable modem's bandwidth, or does
this just stop them from getting to my systems that are connected to it?
I'm not sure if this is something that stops them from using the
wireless at all, or just from doing destructive things with my ssytems
on it.

So...what about hardware? Is the hardware involved at all in the
security? Does 128 bit WEP stop anything? Or 152 bit WEP? Is there some
wireless hardware/brand/model that I could consider ideal for the situation?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net