[lug] VPN suggestions

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 19:18:37 MDT 2006

Jason Vallery wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know various components of this question have been covered recently,
> so I apologize ahead of time for the duplication.  Even reading over
> all the discussions I haven't been able to come up with a good
> solution for my VPN needs.  I thought I would toss my situation out
> here and see if I can get some good comments on what would work best
> for me.
>
> I have 3 servers, in 3 physical separate locations all running CentOS
> 4.3.  Two of the servers sit in data centers and have their own
> dedicated IP addresses behind IP tables.  These boxes are doing
> generally mundane things like email and web serving.  I have one
> additional server that I use for testing and development that sits in
> my house.  In my house I have a standard plain old cable connection
> from Comcast, connected to a WRT54G running the latest Sveasoft
> firmware (which has VPN capabilities built in).  Behind that sits the
> server, and all of my desktop machines (a blend of OS X and Windows).
> I've been playing with Hamachi and I like it.  I really only have two
> major complaints about it, and those are that every client in the
> network must also have the Hamachi client running, and that the
> clients communicate over a separate "internal" IP address and I can't
> seem to do name resolution.
>
> My ideal solution would be something that:
>
>     *  Links my 3 servers together
>     *  Bridges my server at home to my local LAN (allowing me to
>       connect from within my home network without client software)
>     *  Everything would be nicely encrypted
>     *  I could access the same VPN from remote locations like coffee
>       shops, and route my Internet traffic out of one of the servers
>       in the data center (or my house if I have to, but the connection
>       to my production servers is obviously much faster)

I'm also interested in this...I've come to the conclusion though that
there probably isn't a wireless access point which can natively run a
radius server (unless perhaps there is a device that can have linux on
it and which has two interfaces which can bridge?), at least not for the
sub-$1000 range (and no, I would not buy one for anywhere near that :P).

But...if a wireless access device were to require passing through a
dedicated firewall device which in turn *does* have something like IPsec
and/or radius, this would be just as good. Can anyone recommend a
dedicated firewall device that runs a radius server natively, and which
can bridge? If not, are there recommendations on IPsec dedicated
firewall devices that play nicely with linux?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net