[lug] NSLU2 as backup device

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jun 19 06:58:02 MDT 2006

A related followup - I've set up user-space NFS and an Apache server for
static content.  I haven't done performance tests but it appears to be
fine.  I haven't reinstalled SAMBA.  I know it's used in the production
system, but you lose that when you unslung it to run Debian.

Encrypted file systems (since the slug uses an easily stolen USB
drive):  I haven't been able to figure out how to modify an embedded
kernel so I haven't tried kernel-based encryption.

I know that CFS installed but I need to do more research on it.  I'll
almost certainly want to run the encryption on the client side.

(CFS is a encrypting variant of NFS.  It written by one of the heavy
hitters in the crypto world (Matt Blaze), so it's not some college
student's class project.)

In any case the usual concerns with NFS partitions apply.  I'm sure
everyone has a hardware firewall on their broadband connection, but LANs
should still be considered suspect if you have a wireless hub.  I'm
using WPA but still have the client IP addresses fully specified.

I also looked at SFS, but it looks like that doesn't encrypt the disk
itself.