[lug] DHCP Question

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 23 15:11:30 MDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Bill Thoen wrote:

> I just installed Fedora Core 5 as a workstation using pretty much the
> default settings. This morning the machine was running Windows XP and
> the DHCP connection to the internet was working fine (i.e. all hardware
> and connections were okay.) But for some reason FC5 isn't geting a DHCP
> connection. It recognizes the eth0 card, but seems to hang trying to get
> IP information and then fails to connect.
>
> Since I know all the hardware was okay, I assume this is due to some
> configuration setting that I don't know about. I'm sort of new to this,
> so I don't even know what to look for or what info to report to get
> help. Can someone get me started?
>
> I did notice in in the Gnome "Network proxy" that it's set to "direct
> connection to the Internet" and I don't think that's right, but I don't
> know what to change it to, if I should change it at all.
>
> TIA,
> - Bill Thoen

The proxy "direct connection" means that you don't have to point at a
proxy server to get to hosts on the internet.

If this is your network, you can start to troubleshoot by using a static
IP address and verify that you can get that level of connectivity.  If it
isn't your network, you can ask the network folks if they have an IP you
can use while you are testing.

If you can get connectivity with a static ip, then you know that the linux
networking is okay and that it's the interaction between the dhcp client
and server.  You can also try running wireshark/ethereal/tcpdump to see
what sort of response it is getting back.

Hugh