[lug] Binary compatibility and segfaults

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Sep 17 23:00:12 MDT 2006

I'm running a lot of simulations for some research, and I'm trying to use as
many computers as possible.  Something strange though: one of my machines
seems to have something wrong somewhere, and I'm at a loss.

If I do variable dumps prinf style as the program runs, it's clear the data in
the variables is off by one from what it should be (if a=1, b=2, then when run
on this machine b == 1 and a == something unknown.

I even tried to compile the code on this machine, and it compiles without
error, but still segfaults when run.  I'm running this same code on three
other machines with no problems (and it runs valgrind clean).

I thought corruption, but I did a debsums check of everything on the system,
and I put a new kernel in from another machine.  Still the same.  Any ideas?

This is a Debian stable system and the problem happened with both a 2.4.27
kernel and 2.6.15 kernel.