[lug] Hosting Question

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Fri Sep 29 16:38:18 MDT 2006

> For what you're looking to do, you may be happiest with a dedicated
> virtual server. Tummy.com (based in Fort Collins; many of its people
> post here frequently) offers Xen-based hosting starting at
> US$25/month. I've been using it for almost a year and I've been
> pleased. (And I'm not getting any kickback for saying this.)
>
> http://www.tummy.com/Hosting/Virtual/

- what kind of real life performance have you gotten using tummy virutal?
- do pages load quickly (are they responsive) and are your sites either
processor/db or photo (bandwith) intensive?
- any idea about object bandwith figures?
- how do you handle mail/dns (on the same box or do they have other
services you must contract out)?
- i guess the only limit on the number of domains you can run on the vps
is based on hw/bandwith/performance requirements - correct?

> anything, and often force you to change IPs frequently. Consumer-grade
> connections are asymetric -- much faster downstream than upstream --
> and you have to worry about the hardware failing and the power dying
> and your (cat|child|spouse|houseguest) kicking it at the wrong time --
> no doubt when you're in no position to do anything about it.

All very good points!  Makes you wanna forget this option completely.

thanks much for the input