[lug] Initial impressions of Kubuntu

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Nov 14 17:35:30 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:17:19PM -0700, Collins Richey wrote:

> I really get P'Od about these type of general assumptions. The fact is
> that there are always going to be some PCs with broken ACPI and/or
> other BIOS settings that don't take well to LiveCDs is just a fact of
> life.  I've heard the same sort of comments about FC releases. There
> is only so much testing with oddball machines that can be done by any
> distro.
>
> The concept that installer problems of this type have anything to say
> about the quality of the distro and its pre-release testing is just
> absolutely wrong. I've never encountered any of these problems, and my
> Kubunto 6.10 is rock solid (has been for 3 months before release)..
>
> OTOH, I always use the alternative installation disks (text-mode
> installer) because I get tired of waiting for a graphical desktop to
> start.

I think the "these types of problems" he was talking about was my complaints
that the boot menu had very poor quality control.  It really is atrocious
considering their advertising.  The installer, on the other hand, was quite
good I thought and lived up to the hype.

The reason it stuck at "Loading" was a faulty burn (with Taiyo Yuden media
from an approved dealer and burned on a Plextor drive... it's been one of
those weeks for hardware with me).