[lug] Initial impressions of Kubuntu

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Nov 15 20:32:14 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:45:35PM -0700, Collins Richey wrote:

> >The least you could do to give back to the community is submit a bug
> >report.  Obviously they didn't anticipate your experience so they won't
> >know it needs fixing if they don't hear from you.  Or at least check to
> >make sure this has already been reported.
>
> You beat me to it, Dave. Ditto from here. We have along time
> contributor on another list who grumbles mightily if something doesn't
> work, but he's much too important to open a bug.

It's not a trivial thing to research
  1) whether a problem has been reported
  2) whether it has already been fixed
  3) get logins and so on and learn whatever new-to-me bug reporting system is used
  4) write a good specific bug report that won't be ignored.

I do so regularly with Debian because I use Debian.  If any of you want to do
steps 1-4 for Ubuntu, you're welcome to, but I'm not going to be an Ubuntu
user so I don't have much incentive to do all that work.

Believe me, anything I grumble about Debian I have either submitted a bug
report or concluded it's not realistic to do so (like asking for
quick failover package mirrors in apt).  But I've done enough bug reports to
know how much work they can be and how often they are ignored.