[lug] SATA cards, list archives

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Nov 19 14:41:25 MST 2006

The search page is located at http://google.com/

>Second, can anyone give advice on a SATA or combined SATA/USB expansion

The Silicon Image 3114 boards work pretty well, and are cheap.  Like $25
for 4 SATA ports.  However, I've had some problems booting off them...  As
long as your boot disc is on another port, you should be fine.

3Ware makes pretty solid cards, at around $100 per SATA port, but I don't
like running them in RAID, largely because they consider their on-disc
format to be proprietary, so recovery of the data from the discs isn't
really an option.  So, at the very least, make sure you have good backups.

Sean
--
 If I wrote a file-system, it would have a super-duper block.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 2003