[lug] software engineering

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 1 11:15:33 MST 2006

David Morris wrote:

> It could be the Systems Analyst positions provide this role
> on a project, but I would argue a "consulting expert"
> filling the role is the worst possible route to filling the
> need.  A consultant is, by definition, around for only a
> short time.

Hate to say it, 'cause I know there's a lot of consultants on the list,
but I have to agree here.

Trusting systems that are critical to the business to consultants always
results in disaster, eventually.  Usually long after the consultants are
gone, so most consultants will argue that they don't know what you're
talking about if you debate the topic later.

:-)

Having consultants work with someone who's RESPONSIBLE for the system,
both from a management perspective and a technical one; the "one throat
to choke" mentality, sometimes works.  Sometimes the consultants
railroad the person and then they just quit after deployment... usually
right before the problems really start showing up, so they can claim a
"successful multi-million-dollar deployment of X" on their resume' as
they're running out the door.

I swear this is how half the SAP systems got installed, world-wide.
Company looking for "talented SAP engineer" grabbed the people right off
the last failed project before anyone noticed it had failed, and started
the next one.

I have a family member who specializes now in being the analyst who has
seen previous SAP messes created and knows how to avoid them, in a very
specific business in the energy sector.  She got there by watching a
very large oil company's pipeline "back-end" systems get completely
screwed up by a bad SAP deployment by consultants who railroaded the IT
staff... or simply lied about the software's capabilities.  Once a huge
contract like installing something like SAP comes in the door, no matter
if someone finds out it won't do the job later -- the project's going
forward... into the morass of "CRM" systems hell.

Once you've "been there, done that" you become more valuable in those
"do everything" system deployments... but ironically it has to almost
kill the first place you watch it happen to get that experience.

My employer just did a world-wide Siebel deployment.  I found myself in
the database yesterday listed as a customer in Kansas City.

This "do everything" integrated so-called "Enterprise" software would
sure be nice if there were better ways to handle inputting and
validating data in them!  "Enterprise" usually just means it's so big
and costly that it'll never go away, and the database is such a mess
that everyone develops mental work-arounds to be able to use it at all,
let alone effectively.  :-)

Nate