[lug] Beagle

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Dec 11 19:46:31 MST 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

> How about opening up a new thread on the basics of aptitude. Dave
> Anselmi gave a brief presentation at one of our installfests, but I've
> been afraid to tinker with it. apt-get is the Devil I know, and I'm
> loathe to switch without some fundamentals. Does it work without
> problems on *buntu, for example? Is there aproblem switching after
> you've done a lot of maintenance with apt-get?

Can try... see how this goes in e-mail.

Problems on *buntu: No idea.  Assume not.  All depends on the quality of
the dependencies in their packages.  (This is true for all, truly.)

The only things that seem to come up is that aptitude will follow the
"recommends" rules a little more closely and will pull in various
dependencies you might not need the first time you let it do its thing,
compared with the more "raw" apt-get.

I gotta run, but we can continue this...

Nate