[lug] FC5 Computer does not recognize Memorex 1 GB Thumb Drives

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:19:00 MST 2007

On 1/2/07, bof <bof at pcisys.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have three 1 GB Memorex thumb drives that are not recognized under
> Fedora Core 5 on my desktop system, and cannot be mounted using the

> However, when one of the 1 GB drives is plugged in, I get these
> messages in /var/log/dmesg and in /var/log/messages
>
>     usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 125
>     usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 126
>     usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
>     usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
>
> These messages go on indefinitely until I unplug the thumb drive, and
> "the special device /dev/sda1 does not exist" error message occurs
> when I issue the mount command.

I've seen this happen, too, with a USB key which is configured to
autostart a program when plugged into a Windows computer.

FWIW, I left the key plugged into my Linux box, and eventually it was mounted.

You might just leave it plugged in for a while to see what happens
(unless if you've already done that).

Calvin